Here’s how you can unclog a toilet using materials you already have in your house.
- How to Unclog a Toilet Fast
- How to Unclog Your Toilet with a Plunger
- How to Unclog a Toilet with Dish Soap
- How to Unclog Toilet When Nothing Works
- The Best Way to Unclog a Toilet
Unclogging a toilet is always challenging. It is still more challenging when there is no plunger at your disposal. Don’t panic. We are going to tell you what to do in detail.
How to Unclog a Toilet Fast
It happens all of a sudden. You start noticing that something goes wrong with your toilet because the water is rising rapidly in it. Do something very quickly because your bathroom can be flooded. The first thing to do is to turn the water off and block it. You can do it in two ways. I would recommend trying both of them just in case.
- Take out the lid of the toilet located in its rear part. Put it down on the floor.
- Reach the open flapper in the reservoir (the water there is clean) and close it tightly.
- Get to the water supply valve located at the back of the toilet near the floor and turn it clockwise.
Now you can relax for a while – flooding does not threaten your bathroom anymore. You can think now about how to remove the clog. Use one of the techniques described below.
Utilizing a Plunger
How to Unclog Your Toilet with a Plunger
To repair your clogged toilet instantly, use the most traditional method everybody knows – apply a plunger to it. Here is how to get your toilet back to its working order in six easy movements:
- Get the rubber working gloves if you have some at home. Put them on before the start of work.
- Apply a plunger smoothly placing it into the bowl. Try to push it down very carefully not to splash the dirty water. You need it to remove the excess air from the flange. The purpose of it is to make a reliable seal. After that, you can start pumping the plunger up and down with some force trying not to break the seal.
- Pull up the plunger quickly and abruptly. The seal will be broken but the clog will be dislodged too putting the end to your trouble. If you are not sure whether you have managed to unclog the toilet completely, you may repeat the procedure again in a few minutes.
- Now, you can restore the water supply by turning the valve near the floor at the back of the toilet on. The toilet will refill with water.
- Try to flush it. if everything is OK, continue using the toilet as before.
How to Unclog a Toilet with Dish Soap
You can use your common dish soap for unclogging the toilet. Pour some substance into the bowl and then pour some hot water into it. It may be enough to get everything working properly as before. You can wait 15 minutes or so and check whether your toilet is unblocked. You have managed to do that so you may be proud of yourself! Here are the steps for doing the entire procedure smoothly:
- Put some water on the stove to heat it to medium temperature. It is better to utilize a pot with two handles for more convenience. It will be easier for you to pour the water from such a pot into a toilet bowl.
- Slowly pour some liquid dish soap into the bowl. It may be about a half cup of the liquid. Leave the soap in the bowl for 10 minutes and it will disclog the appliance on its own.
- Take the pot with hot water from the stove. Don’t wait until it boils but the first bubbles can start forming at the bottom of the pot. That will show you that the water is hot enough to be used.
- Pour the hot water into the toilet very fast but be careful not to splash it and burn yourself. That is why you need to hold the side handles of the pot tightly for more control. If the toilet is about to overflow, use the plunger first before pouring the hot water into it. Do it after the dish soap has stayed in the bowl for 10 minutes. Some dirty water from the bowl is likely to go down the drain.
- You can plunge the bowl some more times after you have poured the hot water into it because the clog cannot disappear instantly. S, you need to seal the bowl with the plunger and push it up and down several times. If the clog is stubborn and does not move down the drain, you can repeat the whole procedure by pouring the dish soap once again, pouring the hot water into the bowl, and plunging it again.
Read also: Unclog bathroom sink
How to Unclog Toilet When Nothing Works
Learn How to Unclog Toilet When Nothing Works
A Plumbing Snake Can Be Helpful
It is believed that a plumbing snake should be available in every home. However, you may not have it. So, think about purchasing it as soon as possible because you can never know when you will need it. This appliance is also known as a closet auger and it looks like a long wire which is flexible and easy to use when you have to clean the clogged toilet.
Due to its flexibility, this tool can be used to reach the deepest places in the drain. It is covered with the rubber coating because it should not damage the porcelain your toilet bowl is made of. It is easy to avoid scratches with such covering when you push the snake down the drain.
Use the Wet/Dry Cleaner to Suck Out the Clog
This method can help remove the clog by sucking it out from the drain. It is very effective if you compare it to other techniques described in this article.
You may use a common vacuum cleaner or a heavy-duty one to unclog the drain. However, the vacuum should be of a wet/dry type because it needs to operate within the water.
Use your vacuum cleaner wearing your rubber gloves. The vacuum should suck out all the water from the bowl. It will remove all the debris as well and the clog will be eliminated faster.
When all the water is removed from the bowl, push the vacuum hose into the drain. You can use the old towel to wrap the hose and push it a bit deeper for a better suction effect. Switch on the appliance and it will suck the clog from the toilet.
To make sure that the clog has been removed completely, flush the water after you have taken the hose out of the drain. If the water drains slowly, it means that the clog hasn’t been removed effectively. So, you will need to opt for some other method of unclogging the toilet.
If you haven’t managed to resolve the problem, you need to call a plumber. Watch the water level in the bowl. If it has remained the same as before, you need to call the emergency service within 30 minutes.
The Best Way to Unclog a Toilet
If you are looking for the best way to fix a clogged toilet, sometimes it is not as hard as it may seem. You may follow the advice below to do it on your own. here are some steps again you will need to undertake to solve the issue:
- prevent filling up of the toilet bowl by switching off the water supply;
- find the plunger that is the most suitable for this job;
- the plunger should be warmed up;
- do all the plunging procedure correctly;
- use hot water and dish soap;
- apply vinegar and baking soda;
- unclog the toilet with an auger.
You will need to call a professional plumber if you have tried all the techniques and methods described here but they haven’t worked properly. It happens that the toilet has to be removed. You may not know how to do it and not have the necessary tools for this job. The ideal decision you can make here is calling a plumber.
The plumber who knows what to do about the most severe clogs can thoroughly check the problem and find the most suitable solution for unclogging the toilet. The professional can also provide you with some tips on how to avoid similar problems in the future.
You Need Professional Backup
If you have made several attempts to unclog the toilet but they failed and the drain still remains blocked, (toilet won’t unclog), you should call for professional help. Obtain expert backup from technicians at Tornado. Your emergency is our priority so we will schedule this service immediately because we understand your urgent need for help.
If you really need plumbing repairs now, contact Tornado Plumbing & Drains as soon as possible.