Every inhabitant of Toronto is eligible to receive a rebate for backwater valve installation in their basement from City of Toronto if the procedure met all of the conditions of Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program.
This program is developed to protect home owners form basement flooding and any single-family, duplex or triplex residential homes can receive up to $3,400 in rebates for installing flood protection devices, like sump pump, backwater valve, external weeping tile connection or capping of the home’s storm sewer.
One of the most important conditions is that the contractor which does the job has to have a valid City of Toronto business license of one of the following categories:
- Plumbing Contractor (T94)
- Plumbing and Heating Contractor (T92)
- Drain Contractor (T87)
- Building Renovator (T85) – is not valid for Backwater valve installation
Tornado Plumbing has Drain Contractor (T87) license, which qualifies our company to do all of the job that City of Toronto provides rebates for. This includes backwater valve installation, sump pump installation and pipe severance and capping.
The rest of the conditions for getting a subsidy are:
- You must own the building (i.e. be a registered owner with City of Toronto)
- For each eligible installation your property must not have excided lifetime maximum of subsidy amount
- It’s only available to homes that exist and are finished, so if your house is in the planning stage or still being constructed, you can’t get rebate
- Downspouts from your property’s eavestrough must be disconnected from the City’s sewer system or you must have applied to the City for an exemption
- Parking pads and the rest of the paved areas on the front yard must comply with Toronto’s Zoning By-laws
- The application has to be submitted within one year after flood protection devices (backwater valve or sump pump) were installed
- For installing backwater valve you need to get a building permit from the City of Toronto and have the inspector from City before making an application for subsidy
- You have to give a permission for the City of Toronto to make an inspection of installed devices and allow them to take photographs and make videos
- Contractor that does the installation has to have a proper licence(s) – Tornado Plumbing got you covered here
- You need to keep original invoices from us to provide them to City for rebate
- Officially City of Toronto does not guarantee you that you’ll be given a subsidy and you may need to wait, as they provide rebates on a “first-come, first-serve” basis. So far all of our clients who applied – received the rebate