It is a common knowledge that winters in Toronto are very cold, top it up with closeness to the lake and you have perfect conditions for basement flooding. This is the last thing you want to deal with during the cold season. Decrease of temperature and icing of the water in soil can cause cracks and leaks letting the moisture to your basement. As a result you could have mildew, mold and damage to the staff you store in the basement.
If you want that your basement should always stay dry, it is better to prevent the sump pump problems than to solve them intensively when they have already appeared.
You can pay much more for the repair works if your sump pump goes out of order. You will need to fix it immediately because even a little water can result in huge damage.
When building a new structure or only renovate one, underpinning is the method of strengthening the basis known as building-foundation. In this article, we will talk about the reasons why every construction should go under the underpinning process, but most importantly what you should look for when picking a company to make the underpinning for your property.
When is Mandatory to do Underpinning
Underpinning might be required for many reasons such as:
- The primary foundation is not reliable or durable;
- The reason why the structure was built has changed;
- The characteristics of the soil holding the foundation have changed;
- The building of nearby constructions requires soil excavation;
- To build another story to an existing building;
- To prepare for natural disasters such as earthquakes or floods is recommended also to do some basement underpinning and waterproofing.
What you should receive when doing underpinning to your house
There are many companies that offer underpinning services, but when looking for one that offers an affordable underpinning solution, you want to be sure they check some major aspects such as:
- Initial investigations to decide if extra work is needed;
- Plan and certification made by an engineer;
- A complete quotation of the expected work;
- Construction permission;
- Foundation stabilization;
- Jacking of the foundations;
- Force grouting;
- Root stops;
- Plumbing examination to guarantee there are no leaking;
- Engineer surveillance and certification.
As you can see, there are many reasons why you should consider doing underpinning to your house. Also, there are many aspects when picking a company to work for you. Picking an organization that offers affordable underpinning solutions is not as easy as one might think because most of them reduce the quality of their work along with the price. However, if you are from Etobicoke, Mississauga or surroundings, we, the team from Tornado Plumbing are more than happy to come, take a look at your property and offer the best features for the most affordable underpinning solution.